Every woman faces the time in their lives which marks the end of menstrual cycles. It can be tiring and irritative as your body goes through a lot of changes. Menopause! The word which refers to the natural process of stopping of the menstrual cycle that occurs at the end of the reproductive years in women.
Most women tend to reach menopause around 40-50 years of age. However, nowadays one can see premature menopause take place which needs more attention than often provided.
Nutritionist Karishma Chawla of Eat Rite 24×7 breaks down menopause and shares health tips which will you make go through the same with peace.
The Cause: The causes of premature menopause vary. From chronic stress, autoimmune diseases, smoking, genetic factors to the removal of ovaries – any of these reasons could be reasons. In some cases, the reasons for the early onset of menopause are still unknown.
The Symptoms: Irregular menstrual cycles. Hot flashes and night sweats. Anxiety and Insomnia. Water retention and bloating. Headaches and worsening of migraines. Weight gain. From all the symptoms the only two which can be controlled is stress and weight gain. By managing these two factors we can reduce the negative effects of menopause or enter a healthy menopause, the choice is always ours.
1. Regular exercises comprising of weight training for increasing metabolism, fat loss, muscle strength, bone density along with cardiovascular training for better blood circulation, increased stamina, fat loss is beneficial and helps stay fit even during menopause.
2. Meditation, yoga with an emphasis on deep breathing help to manage stress – one of the key symptoms as well as reasons for menopause.
3. Good quality protein calculated and distributed evenly throughout the day in varied meals. In fact, several small meals are preferred to heavy breakfast-lunch-dinner eating cycle.
4. Complex carbohydrates with adequate fibre help keeping the steady energy levels and fat percentage in check.
5. Intake of Calcium-rich foods along with calcium supplements is important to maintain bone health.
6. Strong antioxidants such as vitamin C and E are beneficial.
7. Phytoestrogens act like weak estrogens and may help to reduce menopause symptoms for eg: soya beans and flax seeds along with fresh vegetable juices.
Follow the right tips and enter a healthy menopause!