May 23, 2016, will remain one of the most iconic days for technology in India. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully test launched the first ever Indian made space shuttle, the Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV). The mission was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Andhra Pradesh. It is interesting to know that the biggest space organisation in the world, NASA has abandoned its reusable space shuttle project in 2011. The RLV-TD is described as “a very preliminary step” in the development of a reusable rocket, the final version of which is expected to take 10-15 years.Here’s a look at some important events that happened on May 23 in history.
Here’s a look at some important events that happened on May 23 in history:
• 1568 – The Netherlands declared independence from Spain.
• 1576 – Tycho Brahe given Hveen Island to build Uraniborg Observatory.
• 1647 – Willem II was sworn in as viceroy of Holland.
• 1785 – Benjamin Franklin in Paris spoke of his invention of bifocals in a letter to friend and philanthropist George Whatley.
• 1788 – South Carolina became the eighth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
• 1865 – Flag flown at full mast over White House for the first time since Lincoln was shot.
• 1887 – 1st transcontinental train arrives in Vancouver, BC.
• 1915 – Italy declares war on Austria-Hungary during the First World War.
• 1922 – Walt Disney incorporates his 1st film company Laugh-O-Gram Films.
• 1994 – Roman Herzog elected president of Germany.
• 2014 – A United Nations committee concluded that the Vatican has effective worldwide control over bishops and priests who must comply with a UN anti-torture treaty, a finding that could expose the Catholic Church to new lawsuits by victims of clerical sex abuse.
Text by Supriya Aggarwal